What is ATEX?
ATEX is the name commonly given to the two European Directives for controlling explosive atmospheres:
1) Directive 99/92/EC also known as ‘ATEX Workplace Directive’
2) Directive 94/9/EC also known as ‘ATEX Equipment Directive’
EX Environments become hazardous when excessive temperatures are introduced and gases, vapours or concentrations of dust in that environment are ignited. Explosions occur when non-approved electrical apparatus working in the environment fail and create open flames, static electrical discharge or sparks.
When the elevation of temperature reaches the auto ignition level of the chemicals, dusts or gases being utilized, the result is an immediate explosion or fire. Explosion Proof Industrial Machines are built, tested and classified for use in EX environments. Explosion Proof Industrial Machines in static electrical conditions, vehicle turn-over or electrical failure do not produce auto igniting circumstances or temperatures. *Miretti Italia SRL
Certified to Device Category 3G (Zone 2), Gas Group IIB, and Temperature Class T3, Waterblast Units comply with the ATEX 95 (94/4/EC) Directive, satisfying the essential health and safety requirements of the regulation.
With its innovative, self-cleaning flame trap, the unit also complies with Asia Waterjet’s own commitment to providing safe and simple Waterblast systems.
- EN 1755
- Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC
The entire engine was converted to comply with the directive; an idea of the changes involved are highlighted below;
- Marine rated radiator including two cores for engine and heat exchanger cooling
- Engine driven anti-static fan
- Anti-static fan belt
- Enclosures for sparking components in the normal operation
- Zone 2 Alternator for engine and alternator belt (mandatory for electronic engines)
- Safety shutdown system
- Air inlet shutdown valve with emergency shutdown and mechanical lever control
- High Water temperature shutdown
- Exhaust gas temperature shutdown
- Mechanical over-speed valve
- T3 Compact Exhaust gas heat exchanger with off-shore rated coating
- Exhaust gas self cleaning flame arrestor
- Spark arrestor
- Intake flame arrestor
- Crankcase breather flame arrestor
- Marine painting or coating in accordance customer specification
- Zone 2 Batteries for Alternator 24V / 200 Ah (mandatory for electronic engines)
- Zone 2 conversion of the original electric starter motor